Thanks to the newly installed Melody 2 wheelchair platform lift, all keen gardeners with full mobility or otherwise can now enjoy visiting the Wisley Plant Centre.
Herbaceous perennials, shrubs, alpines… these are just samples of the wide range of plants the Wisley Plant Centre in Surrey has for sale. In addition to this impressive collection, the centre can be proud of the fact that its facilities can be easily accessed by wheelchair users and those with impaired mobility.
The Centre, situated on an elevated ground, already had disabled access via a ramp. However, a platform lift was required due to the steep slope that was difficult to negotiate for wheelchair users.
A lift that ticks the boxes
RHS contacted Terry Lifts in order to solve the access problem and make entry to the Plant Centre easier for wheelchair users.
Due to the outdoor location, RHS required a weather-proof and tamper-resistant disabled vertical platform lift. Compliance with Part M of the building regulations was a must, as was the option to lock the lift when it is not in use.
Terry Lifts’ Melody 2 was the perfect solution for the Plant Centre. Besides meeting the requirements of the Building Regulations, the Melody 2 complies with BS6440:2011 and is CE certified to the Machinery Directive. It also provides an aesthetically pleasing solution due to the lack of mast or support tower.
- Application range: People with impaired mobility and wheelchair users. Internal & external locations
- Maximum safe working load: 500 kg (440 kg on 3 metre version)
- Maximum travel: 3 m (3000 mm)
- Rated speed: 0.08 metres per second
- Complies with BS6440:2012 and meets the requirements of the 2010 Equality Act (formerly the DDA)
- Power supply electrical requirements: 220 / 240 V~50 / 60 Hz-13A single phase (max).
- Dedicated RCD protected supply low voltage control system: 12 VDC
- Operating temperature range: -10 °C to +40 °C
- Safety: Full platform safe underpan which stops the lift should it touch any obstacle in the down direction only. Protects against entrapment below the platform and inside the guide. Fully interlocked upper and lower gates
- Drive: Direct acting hydraulic